2018 KTM 450 SX-F Factory Edition
We Don't Just Build Replicas
We build and race FACTORY EDITIONS. Championship winning bikes, like this one. Thanks to its compact SOHC (single overhead camshaft) engine delivering explosive but controllable power, it is the weapon of choice for Red Bull KTM Factory Teams around the world. A revised chassis, a more compact cylinder head and slimmer bodywork put the 2018 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION even further out front of the competition. A long list of special equipment such as a factory installed holeshot device, a floating front brake rotor and a billet clutch cover just add to the arsenal that raises this limited edition model to level that cannot be rivaled. With three consecutive AMA Supercross Championship victories, it is clear the FACTORY EDITION is a formula for success.
- KTM’s hugely successful 450cc SOHC engine is already known as the lightest and most powerful on the market, but KTM’s engineers did not rest on the laurels of this epic engine. A new more compact and lighter cylinder head drops the overall height of the engine by 15 mm for better mass centralization and better handling. Fitted with the latest fuel injection technology and engine management, the 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION produces unrivaled power and rideability that will shoot both pros and amateurs alike to the top of the podium.
- Cylinder head: At 15mm lower than the previous generation, the redesigned cylinder head puts the camshaft closer to the center of gravity of the 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION. The cam features a new surface treatment and rides on low-friction DLC rocker arms to actuate lightweight titanium valves. A low-friction cam chain completes the highly efficient and compact valve train.
- Crankshaft: The crankshaft utilizes a short connecting rod, which makes for an overall compact and lightweight engine with a snappy power delivery. A plain big-end bearing with two force-fitted bearing shells runs directly on the crank pin. The necessary oil feed for this bearing is ensured by the engine’s pressurized lubrication. This design is a decisive benefit in terms of the crankshaft service interval, which can be lengthened due to the plain bearing.
- Crankcases and engine covers: The design of the die-cast engine cases allows for minimal weight and a very centralized shaft configuration. This makes the engine short and compact, while contributing to an efficient centralization of masses. The engine covers also feature a solid surface structure, which reduces the wear caused by the rider’s boots.
- Transmission: The KTM 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION uses a lightweight 5-speed transmission with gear ratios that are perfectly matched to the power delivery of its large displacement engine. The gearbox of the 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION is now produced by Pankl and features optimized material, design and heat treatment. An advanced ´No Dirt´ gear shift lever design prevents mud and sand from blocking the joint of the lever and guarantees trouble-free shifting. All 4-stroke engines are fitted with a gear position sensor, giving the option of different engine characteristics for each gear.
- Engine management system: The state-of-the-art Keihin Engine Management System with electronic fuel injection features a 44mm throttle body. Thanks to its unique injector position, the engine’s response is instantaneous. And to make life even easier, separate systems for cold starts and idle adjustment await you. The lightweight ECU features a unique traction and launch control system for lightning-quick response when the gate drops and maximum grip thanks to different maps that sync with to the gear you’re in. It’s also possible to unleash an even more powerful mapping via the handlebar map switch.
- Cylinder and piston: Inside the short cylinder, with a bore of 95mm, thumps a box-type piston made by CP. Its crown geometry is adapted perfectly to the high-compression combustion chamber, where its rigid structure and low weight shine. Thanks to the low oscillating masses, the engine is as snappy as it is strong
- Balancer shaft: The side-mounted counter balancer does double duty also driving the water pump. Thanks to its perfect balance and low oscillating masses, engine vibration is kept to a minimum.
- Clutch: The 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION features a DDS (Dampened Diaphragm Steel) Clutch that is actuated hydraulically by a Brembo master and slave cylinder. The single diaphragm steel pressure plate offers better feel and function than a traditional multiple coil spring set-up. The damping system provides better traction and reliability while the CNC-machined basket allows for thin steel liners for a compact design. A special replica Hinson billet clutch cover is fitted to the FACTORY EDITION.
- E-Starter: Like all KTM 4-stroke motorcycles, the 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION is started at the push of a button - a priceless advantage when you’re on the clock.
- Handlebar map select switch: All 4-stroke models are equipped with a sophisticated new multi-functional handlebar map select switch, which does three things:Activation of the traction controlActivation of the launch controlSelection of two power curves (Standard or Advanced)The traction control is a unique feature that none of the competitors can offer. It guarantees more efficient traction when the track conditions are less than perfect. Push the button and reign supreme. With this map select switch the rider can also activate the launch control, which provides more efficient starts out of the gate so you can go for the holeshot, time and time again. How? It simply reduces the maximum engine speed for the very first moments of the start, in order to give you better control. Push both buttons when the engine idles and the EFI control lamp mounted on the upper triple clamps will let you know you are READY TO RACE. In addition, the map select switch gives the rider the chance to select an alternative, more powerful map beside the standard configuration. Welcome to the future.
- Cooling: KTM’s proven cooling system routes the coolant from the cylinder head through the frame triangle, directly to aluminum radiators made by WP. New to the CFD (computational fluid dynamics) designed cooling system are redesigned radiators to compliment the thinner bodywork and a larger center tube for more consistent coolant flow with reduced pressure and turbulence. In addition, well thought-out radiator guards integrated in the front part of the shrouds provide protection in a crash.
- Exhaust: A new header pipe features a reshaped flow-designed resonance chamber that is seamlessly integrated into the system. The new muffler is shorter and more compact to bring the weight closer to the center of gravity while delivering the same performance at competition-legal noise levels.
- The 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION receives an updated chassis to up its handling prowess and stability. Longitudinal stiffness of the frame has increased to improved bump absorption while the CNC-machined top triple clamp not stiffer to compliment the updated frame character. The swingarm now has 5mm more of wheelbase adjustment for more stability on high speed tracks. Updated WP Suspension settings complete a package that will ensure the 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION is an unstoppable force in any situation.
- Frame: The 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION’s frame features an increase in torsional rigidity for improved bump absorption, stability and rider feedback. A new aluminum subframe is 40 mm longer for a stiffer rear section. The orange powder coated frame is fitted with color matching frame protectors and a carbon fiber reinforced skid plate.
- Swingarm: A new swingarm that has a 5 mm longer rear wheel axle slot giving the option of a longer wheel base for better straight-line stability. The cast aluminum design offers low weight and a perfect flex behavior. The single-component casting process eliminates any inconsistencies and inherent weak points created by welding.
- Wheels: The 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION is fitted with black D.I.D. rims attached to CNC-machined hubs by lightweight spokes and silver anodized aluminum nipples for a lightweight and strong wheel. Dunlop GEOMEX MX3S tires put the power to the ground using the proven block-within-a-block design.
- Front suspension: The WP AER 48 is a split function fork featuring a capsulated air spring and pressurized oil chamber for consistent and progressive damping while offering supreme adjustability. Air spring adjustment is simple with the factory supplied WP digital air pump. The 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION is also fitted with a mechanical holeshot device on the right fork for the proper weight distribution and ride height for getting to the first turn ahead of the competition.
- Rear suspension: The WP shock absorber has been developed with the entire frame and swingarm architecture in mind, including the linkage system and the WP AER 48 front forks. It features machined and black anodized components and is a valuable, high-end product compared to roughcast reservoirs. The WP DCC shock has been updated with a new main piston and setting to provide optimized damping characteristics while keeping the weight low and the body compact
- Triple clamp: The 22mm offset orange anodized CNC-machined triple clamps are now stiffer to compliment the increased longitudinal stiffness of the frame. A rubber damping system reduces vibrations and increases rider comfort.
- Brakes: A 260mm floating front brake rotor is matched to a Brembo master cylinder and caliper for class-leading stopping power and feel. A front brake protector is fitted as standard equipment on the 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITON.
- Fuel tank: A lightweight polyethylene tank with a capacity of 1.85 gallons. The fuel tank cap has an inside thread, which makes for easy and reliable closure
- Airbox: The airbox design offers maximum protection of the air filter while ensuring maximum airflow. The large twin-air filter is mounted in a stiff cage, which at the same time holds the system in place. This design is so simple, you could still pop a fresh one in with a face full of mud. Without tools. In seconds
- READY TO RACE ergonomics give you the edge on the track, ride harder for longer.
- KTM R&D, KISKA Design and all our factory riders had their say in shaping the plastics with one goal: complete harmony between rider and bike. New slimmer bodywork create a package that is easier to move around on in the heat of battle.
- The latest technology, reduced to the minimum: READY TO RACE
- Battery & wiring harness: A strong new lithium ion 2.0 Ah battery breathes life into the engine and contributes to low vehicle weight. The lightweight battery and wiring harness are centralized in a compartment above the air filter box, allowing the mechanic to remove the subframe without moving the electronics.
- Frame design: 25CrMo4 steel central-tube frame
- Front suspension: WP-USD, AER 48, Ø 48 mm
- Rear suspension: WP shock absorber with linkage
- Front brake: Disc brake
- Rear brake: Disc brake
- Front brake disc diameter: 260 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 220 mm
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4 in.
- Steering head angle: 63.9 deg.
- Design: 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- Displacement: 449.9 cm³
- Bore: 95 mm
- Stroke: 63.4 mm
- Starter: Electric starter
- Transmission: 5-speed
- Clutch: Wet, DDS multi-disc clutch, Brembo hydraulics
- EMS: Keihin EMS
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- 449.9 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 95 x 63.4 mm
- Front Suspension
- WP-USD, AER 48, Ø 48 mm
- Front Brakes
- Disc brake
- Rear Suspension
- WP shock absorber with linkage
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brake
- Final Drive
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4 in.